Hey you! Yes you, the undecided voter who has waded through the past 18-24 months groaning and grumbling about the media coverage surrounding the 2016 election. Can't decide which candidate to vote for today?
No problem; Stanford football has a solution for you in the thrilling tandem of Christian McCaffrey and Bryce Love.
Now, you may be asking yourselves, why should I vote for a pair of meathead football players? What do they know about the politics of American government?
The true answer: I don't know. But to die-hard college football fans who are purposely ignorant of the political stratosphere, there may not be two better running mates to become the next US power duo.
Let me tell you why...
- Incumbency. Despite his down numbers this year. Christian McCaffrey remains a Heisman incumbent. After finishing second in voting for college football's trophy honoring its most valuable, exciting and productive player, McCaffrey was in the conversation for a repeat invite to New York City this December. And any incumbent needs a support system in his time of need. While McCaffrey sat out with injury for three games, Love proved himself as a viable successor, should the former decide after this season to head for the next level.
- Efficiency. This is more in terms of using North-South speed to gain yards in bunches. As explosive as McCaffrey is in the open field, Bryce Love is a high motor guy, running on the power of a V8 engine.
- Consistency. McCaffrey has met or exceeded the century mark in all-purpose yards in 22 of his last 23 games. Also, when rushing for 300+ yards as a team, Stanford is 7-0 under David Shaw. You can see that this consistency is something this Cardinal rushing attack can hang its hat on.
- Trust. David Shaw trusts his runners, thus explaining his choice to close a defensive struggle with Oregon State with an astounding 29 running plays, with 24 of those coming in the final quarter. Though the Cardinal had kept just an eight-point lead, Shaw felt the only thing holding them back from a victory was the clock.
- History. How long has the running game been a Stanford staple? It can be traced back through the era of Toby Gerhart, Stepfan Taylor, Tyler Gaffney, Remound Wright; all names that have done good things for the image of the Stanford Power-I formation.
- Education. Both men juggle being top-flight athletes and students at one of the world's most elite educational institutions. Need we say more?
Sold yet? You don't have to be, but I am. You still have time to fulfill your civic duty. Vote #McLovin2016 to keep the United States on firm footing.