***Editors Note: This article was originally submitted as a fanpost by user BuckeyeCardinal we are resubmitting it here. If you would like to submit your own fanpost we strongly encourage you to do so here. If it is great, we'll probably move it to the front page like this one.
For the first time in the history of the Pac-12 Stanford has been voted number one in the preseason poll. Here are my five reason why the writers were correct and Stanford will win the Pac-12 for the fourth time in six years.
1. Christian McCaffrey- Now this is an easy one, McCaffrey is now the single season all-purpose yards record and he is returning for his junior season to help the Cardinal offense.
2. Bryce Love, Michael Rector, and Dalton Schultz – With teams almost guaranteed to have a defensive game plan forcing someone else on the Cardinal’s offense to beat them not named Christian McCaffrey. This is where the trio of Love, Rector and Schultz come in. Rector and Love average over 16 yards per reception last year and with team stacking the box Love and Rector should find themselves frequently covered one on one. Which will give these two talented playmakers room to operate in the open field. Schultz the former number one overall tight end in the 2014 class will finally get a chance to show his skills as the number one tight end for the Stanford offense
3. Secondary- The secondary features two senior safeties and two sophomore corners who last year showed a great nose for the ball. In a conference that has become very pass happy having young but experienced corners with a nose for the football could come up huge again in big games.
4. Solomon Thomas – Towards the end of the 2015 season, Thomas looked almost unblockable in the Pac-12 title game and the Rose Bowl. Which could be a huge help for a defensive line that probably will feature a tight end turned defensive end and a nose tackle coming off an injury last year.
5. David Shaw – In five season as the head coach for Stanford David Shaw has won the Pac-12 in three of those five season. Shaw also brings into the season arguablly one of his most talented rosters in his time at Stanford.
Let me know your thoughts on the Cardinals being picked to win the Pac-12 this season.